Friday, March 12, 2010

Suck it...Fools!

I'm baaaaccckkkk.

So, I had to buy a new TV this week. I procrastinated for a week hoping mine would decide to take it all back and love me again. It did as well as most of my ex boyfriends...wavering back and forth...leaving and then coming back. So, it has now found it's place in the garage until it hits the curb. Don't get me wrong, I love my old TV. We had a good 11 years together. The funny thing is...some old friends chipped in and bought it for me for Christmas one year. I had a little 19" in my living room and no one wanted to watch TV at my house. Didn't bother me at all. So, 11 years is pretty good for a pawn shop TV.

If you don't know me too well, let me tell you that I am a tad obsessive compulsive. I haven't been formally diagnosed, but if my dry hands, need to carry sanitizer AND baby wipes with me everywhere, desire to clean at all times, checking doors, and checking and rechecking myself is any indication, I would say just a TAD.

I digress...my TV cabinet was the first real and nice piece of furniture I bought for myself as a grown up. I still love it. It's very dark and antiquey distressed looking and real wood, which is a big bonus. I refuse to get rid of my cabinet, so new TV MUST be bought to fit it. I measured...three times to be sure. It is 36" across. I found specs on a TV online that listed 35 1/2" for a 37" TV...sweet! I don't need a lot of side junk around it anyway. I did a bit of shopping with a friend and calling around. By day three I swore I was going to beat the next person BRAINLESS who told me that TVs are measured diagonally. Thank you for the information because when I said I was looking at 32" and possibly 37" but needed it to be no more than 36" wide, I was, of course, thinking of the screen and not the cabinet. Really? My friends asked me if I knew that, my dad, the sales peeps, and the people I talked to on the phone.

I took 1/2 day off of work to get my hair cut on Wednesday and decided to check out the 37" at Best Buy that I was looking at online. I noticed it was 60 hz instead of 120. I asked the sales guy if he could show me the difference. He said that I wouldn't really notice it unless I was a tech geek type of person that had to have the best. He said whether or not I get it should depend on the type of shows I watch. He asked me if I watch action and sports or would just use it for daytime television. Picture this...me sucking in my breath and snarling. That is probably what he saw. Daytime television? Yes, because I am a woman in the store during business hours, I MUST watch daytime television. He realized his mistake rather quickly, I believe. I asked him for a measuring tape so I could make sure it is the right size. He informed me the 37" meant diagonal....yes, thanks. TV measured BY ME, bought, and is now in the cabinet with less than an inch of room on ALL sides except for the base. So...to all the people who asked me if I measured, if I measured correctly, if I was sure, if I knew how to measure a TV...I say a big fat SUCK IT! :-)

1 comment: